Why do I need this medicine?
Glyceryl Trinitrate (GTN) belongs to a group of medicines known as nitrates. GTN patches are used to prevent angina (chest pain) .
GTN patches may be used to treat other conditions as decided by your doctor.
How do I use this medicine?
Use GTN patches exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Instructions for application:
- Remove the patch from the protective foil pouch and peel away the liner. Do not touch the sticky side with your fingers.
- Apply the patch to a clean, dry and hairless area. The patch may be applied to the chest, upper stomach area, upper arm, shoulder or thigh. Do not apply on broken or reddened skin.
- Press the patch firmly in place with the palm of your hand.
- Change the patch at the same time every day. GTN patches should be removed for part of the day (usually when you are sleeping) to ensure that the medicine remains effective. You should apply the new patch to a different area of skin to minimise skin irritation.
- Fold the old patch in half with the sticky sides together and dispose it out of reach of children.
If the GTN patch falls off, apply a new patch to a new area of skin and change the patch at the usual time.
If the sides of the patch lift up, use a plaster or bandage to secure it to your skin.
GTN patches must be used regularly for it to be effective. Continue using GTN patches even when you feel better. Do not stop using it unless instructed by the doctor.